5. Share one of your strengths.
I think I’m pretty good at dialogue, especially for the fandoms I’m very familiar with: Veep, The Newsroom (ugh why do I love that show so much), The Hunger Games, etc. Most of my fics start as a snippet of dialogue and grow from there and I think it shows, sometimes: The Big Red Button all came from this line: “He’s not fucking chardonnay, Amy” and it remains one of the best things I’ve ever written, as far as I’m concerned. I have thousand word long word docs on my laptop that’s just dialogue waiting for prose to fit between hahaha it’s terrible.
10. Which fic has been the easiest to write?
Worryingly the two George Clooney/Amy Poehler fics I wrote after THAT Golden Globes moment were the quickest off the starting blocks: Drink Aware and ABC Listers. The absolute breeziest though has to be this short Mindy Project piece I wrote for a ficathon forever ago. It just tripped off the tongue and rereading it makes me want to write more so badly.
15. If you could choose one of your fics to be filmed, which would you choose?
I would give my right arm for a Clooney/Poehler rom-com. Aside of that, I would have loved to have seen my Newsroom AU Fast Talkers come to life in Season Two. THERE IS HOPE FOR IT YET.
3. Is there a trope you wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole?
When it comes to writing: most of them because I am an awful single-trick pony who writes meandering plotless romance and sweet fuck all else. Reading: I have somehow managed to shelter myself from the Alpha Beta Omega stuff but more generally pretty much any werewolf/vampire/zombie AU is a no from me. It just doesn’t appeal. Also all and anything rated E that’s written by someone discernibly younger than me I’m sorry but it’s like thinking about my parents having sex it’s natural but just feels fundamentally wrong.
13. What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever come across?
Orwelll!! Not only my absolutely number one literary hero but also a total sage:
14. What’s the worst writing advice you’ve ever come across?
Hahah probably everything my GCSE English teacher ever told me? Kurt Vonnegut’s admonishment of the semi-colon has always grated, too. It’s my favourite punctuation mark and I will never apologise for that.
- Describe your comfort zone—a typical you-fic.
- Is there a trope you’ve yet to try your hand at, but really want to?
- Is there a trope you wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole?
- How many fic ideas are you nurturing right now? Care to share one of them?
- Share one of your strengths.
- Share one of your weaknesses.
- Share a snippet from one of your favorite pieces of prose you’ve written and explain why you’re proud of it.
- Share a snippet from one of your favorite dialogue scenes you’ve written and explain why you’re proud of it.
- Which fic has been the hardest to write?
- Which fic has been the easiest to write?
- Is writing your passion or just a fun hobby?
- Is there an episode above all others that inspires you just a little bit more?
- What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever come across?
- What’s the worst writing advice you’ve ever come across?
- If you could choose one of your fics to be filmed, which would you choose?
- If you only could write one pairing for the rest of your life, which pairing would it be?
- Do you write your story from start to finish, or do you write the scenes out of order?
- Do you use any tools, like worksheets or outlines?
- Stephen King once said that his muse is a man who lives in the basement. Do you have a muse?
- Describe your perfect writing conditions.
- How many times do you usually revise your fic/chapter before posting?
- Choose a passage from one of your earlier fics and edit it into your current writing style. (Person sending the ask is free to make suggestions).
- If you were to revise one of your older fics from start to finish, which would it be and why?
- Have you ever deleted one of your published fics?
- What do you look for in a beta?
- Do you beta yourself? If so, what kind of beta are you?
- How do you feel about collaborations?
- Share three of your favorite fic writers and why you like them so much.
- If you could write the sequel (or prequel) to any fic out there not written by yourself, which would you choose?
- Do you accept prompts?
- Do you take liberties with canon or are you very strict about your fic being canon compliant?
- How do you feel about smut?
- How do you feel about crack?
- What are your thoughts on non-con and dub-con?
- Would you ever kill off a canon character?
- Which is your favorite site to post fic?
- Talk about your current wips.
- Talk about a review that made your day.
- Do you ever get rude reviews and how do you deal with them?
- Write an alternative ending to [insert fic title] (or just the summary of one).
Your Design | GRACE MITCHELL
i’ve been pushed into overtime
it all turned on me on a dime
good heart with a filthy mind
somebody tell me this is real life
The fate of peoples is made like this, two men in small rooms. Forget the coronations, the conclaves of cardinals, the pomp and processions. This is how the world changes: a counter pushed across a table, a pen stroke that alters the force of a phrase, a woman’s sigh as she passes and leaves on the air a trail of orange flower or rose water; her hand pulling close the bed curtain, the discreet sigh of flesh against flesh.
First still of Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell *
Ruth Wilson and Dominic West photographed by Norman Jean Roy for Vogue US, September 2014